Golf club grips are a vital part of the game. From the time most new golfers start playing, they are told to replace the grips on their clubs every year or so. Sometimes sooner. But, the question is why? what makes grips wear out? and importantly, how much to regrip golf clubs?
You can quantify the value of gripping from the fact that grip is the only direct connection between a golfer and a golf club. It would not be wrong to say that whatever you imagine for the shot goes through the golf club’s grip.
How Much To Regrip Golf Clubs
In this article, we will be talking about the dynamics and varying aspects of regripping golf clubs and the cost of regripping clubs.
As mentioned above, the grip is the only direct connection between a golfer and his club. Golf clubs that are correctly gripped allow for maximum control and accuracy while swinging. The tackiness and traction of a golf club grip are essential for proper golf shots.
Without a good golf club gripping in place, you are likely to mishit a lot of shots. There will be nothing wrong with your swing technique but just at the nick of the time of impact, you will lose it all because of an out-of-shape gripping.
Honestly, it is frustrating when you are doing everything correctly but somehow mishit the shots. The sole reason is that your golf club grips have lived their life. The loss of tackiness and traction of the grip causes instability and uncertainty in shots.
An old and worn-out grip can cause the club to slip in your hand and result in a loss of control. In addition, a golf club with an improper and cracked grip can also lead to inconsistencies in your shots. Therefore, it is important to regularly check your grips and replace them when necessary.
It is recommended that regripping golf clubs should be done every year or after 35-40 rounds. It is not just about the usage of the grips as several other factors deteriorate the life of the grip, such as weather, dirt, debris, moisture, and the life of tackiness.
A standard grip can not cater to all golfers. To begin with, we know golf is played worldwide and every region has different climatic attributes. Secondly, some golfers like firm material while others opt for a softer golf club gripping. Based on different factors, there are 3 types of golf club grips.
These are the most economical golf grips you can find on the market. They are readily available. These are made up of rubber material. However, in unfavorable conditions, rubber grips lose their composition strength and start to shed tacky rubber.
These grips are opted for by many professional golfers. Although they are also made up of rubber, their braiding design helps golfers deal with instability in moist conditions. These grips provide extra tackiness and stability through the shots. For regripping golf clubs, most golfers opt for cord grips.
Back in the day, wrap grips were made up of leather. They were a hybrid of rubber and cord grips. Nowadays, these are made up of synthetic rubber. The hybrid framework provides comfort and extra stability.
Apart from the type of golf grip, the size of the grip is also an important factor in determining how much to regrip golf clubs. There are 5 sizes of golf grips. You can find out a suitable size for yourself by measuring the inches from the top of your middle finger to the first palm-wrist line.
- If the measured distance is less than 5 inches, a junior grip would be the best choice.
- If the measured distance is between 5-6.5 inches, an undersized grip would be the best choice.
- If the measured distance is between 6.6-7.5 inches, a standard grip would be the best choice.
- If the measured distance is between 7.6-9 inches, a midsized/oversized grip would be the best choice.
- If the measured distance is greater than 9 inches, a jumbo grip would be the best choice.
Another important determinant of how much to regrip golf clubs is where you get the regripped. You have 2 options for this.
- If you do it by yourself, the cost of regripping clubs is minimal as you only require a few things.
- If you get it done by a professional fitter, the cost will be higher.
Cost of Regripping Clubs
As mentioned previously, some factors determine the cost of regripping clubs. These include the type, size, and fitting options. These costs also vary with the personal demands and preferences of the golfers. The cost of grips of different brands varies. Some golfers just like to regrip one or two clubs instead of the whole set.
Following is a careful estimation of how much to regrip golf clubs.
- Golf grips can be priced as low as $1.5/grip.
- Golf grips can be priced as high as $12.99/grip
- Grips for golfers having joint pains or arthritis are priced even higher.
Keeping this in mind, it is safe to say that regripping golf clubs might cost $40-400 for the entire set, given the differences in the above-mentioned determinants.
- Golf Pride MCC Plus4 Golf Grips
- Lamkin Crossline Golf Grips
- SuperStroke Cross Comfort Golf Grips
- Golf Pride Tour Velvet Align Golf Grips
- Karma Standard Velvet Golf Grips
- SuperStroke S-Tech Cord Golf Grips
- Lamkin Comfort Plus Golf Grips
- Winn Dri-Tac Golf Grips
- Senior Men’s Majek Jumbo Oversize Tour Pro Velvet Golf Grips
People Also Ask
When to regrip golf clubs?
When the grips lose their tackiness and strength, it is a good time to change them. Going on with the worn-out and old grips will affect your shots badly.
Does grip size matter?
Yes, grip size plays a huge role in swing curvature. Short-size grips will restrict your wrist movement whereas large-size grips will not restrict your swing, thus causing the hook and slice shots.
Can I regrip my golf clubs?
Can I regrip my golf clubs?
- A survey of golfers showed that 66% of those who had clubs regripped showed an average drop of three to four strokes per round.
- On Average, tour professionals regrip their golf clubs every 6-8 weeks.
- A survey analysis of 89 golfers found that while over 55% of golfers had the same grips on all their clubs, except the putter, 45% of players used a different grip on one or more of their clubs.
We have tried to include all important factors and determinants to project a careful estimation of the costs of regripping golf clubs. We hope this article about How Much To Regrip Golf Clubs helps you.!